"Filling and satisfying lasagna with sausage, ground beef and three types of cheese."
- Sweet Italian Sausage - 1 lb.
- Lean Ground Beef - 3/4 lb.
- Onion - 1/2 cup, minced
- Fresh/Frozen Ontario Garlic - 2 cloves, crushed
- Crushed Tomatoes - 1 can (28 oz)
- Tomato Paste - 2 cans (6 oz)
- Tomato Sauce - 2 cans (6.5 oz)
- Water - 1/2 cup
- White Sugar - 2 Tbsp.
- Garlicky Italian Seasoning - 2 tsp.
- Salt - 1 Tbsp.
- Ground Black Pepper - 1/4 tsp.
- Fresh Parsley - 4 Tbsp., chopped
- Lasagna Noodles - 12
- Ricotta Cheese - 16 ounces
- Egg - 1
- Salt - 1/2 tsp.
- Mozzarella Cheese - 3/4 lb., sliced
- Parmesan Cheese - 3/4 cup, grated
1) In a dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, Garlicky Italian Seasoning, 1 Tbsp. salt, pepper, and 2 Tbsp. parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
2) Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 tsp. salt.
3) Preheat oven to 375F.
4) To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13" baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil, to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
5) Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Another delicious recipe from the kitchen of The Garlic Box