Wheat berries are soft-wheat kernels that can be found in your local health food store.
- Dried Wheat Berries (or prairie rice) - 1 cup
- Dried Cranberries - 1/2 cup
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 1/3 cup
- Garlic Balsamic Vinegar (or regular balsamic vinegar) - 3 tbsp
- Smoked Garlic Seasoning - 1 tbsp
- Salt - 14 tsp
- Kale - 5 cups chopped (about 1/2 small bunch)
- Red Onion - 1/2 cup, diced
- Yellow Pepper - 1, diced
1) Rinse wheat berries. Combine with 8 cups water in a medium pot. Bring to a boil over high, then reduce heat to medium-high. Cook, covered until wheat-berries are tender; at least 35 minutes. (May take longer.) Stir in cranberries during last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain and rinse with cool water.
2) Whisk oil, vinegar, salt and Smoked Garlic Seasoning in a large bowl. Stir in wheat-berry mixture, kale, onion and pepper. Serve immediately. May eat warm or cold. Keeps well for one day. Store in refrigerator sealed up to 3 days.
Another delicious recipe from the kitchen of The Garlic Box