A warm, welcoming soup with the most epic matchstick fries you will ever taste. And fun to eat too!
Shop Now: Epic Fry Salt
- Sweet Potato Soup:
- Large sweet potatoes - 3 large ( about 2 pounds)
- Leeks - 3
- Ontario Garlic Cloves fresh or frozen - 2 cloves
- Chicken stock - 6 cups
- Fresh Ginger (peeled and grated) - 1 (2inch) piece or about 1 tbsp
- Roasted Garlic and Sea Salt - to taste
- Optional: Epic Fry Salt - Season soup to taste
- Matchstick fries and Frizzled Leeks
- Canola oil - for frying
- Large Yukon Gold or russet potatoes - 2 large potatoes or about 1 pound
- Epic Fry Salt - to taste
- Piece of leek - 1 (3 inch) piece, julienned
- Potato Starch - 2 tbsp
Sweet Potato Soup Directions:
1) Peel and quarter the sweet potatoes. Wash the leeks well, and drain. Remove any damaged outside peel, remove the hairy white tips from the end, and cut the leeks into 1-inch slices. Leave 1 ( 3-inch) section aside to be fried for the garnish. In a large pot cook the leeks and garlic with butter until soft (do not let garlic brown). Add the stock or water. Add the sweet potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and boil until cooked through or fork tender. Using an immersion blender, puree the ingredients until they are thoroughly blended. Add the grated ginger and test for consistency. If too thick, add a little more water. Taste and adjust seasoning with the Epic Garlicky Fry Salt. Ladle the soup into warm bowls, garnish with a mound of hot crispy matchstick potatoes and frizzled leeks.
2) MATCHSTICK FRIES AND FRIZZLED LEEKS: In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan pour in oil to about 1/3rd way and heat to 350F (if you don't have a thermometer a cube of bread will brown in 3 min.). To make matchstick fries; peel and cut potatoes into matchstick slices. rinse under cold water and strain to remove excess starch. Drain well and pat dry. Fry 3-5 min submerged in oil until nicely browned. Drain the potatoes on a paper towel and sprinkle with the Epic Garlicky Fry Salt while hot. To make frizzled leeks; cut the 3" piece of leek into matchstick slices similar to the potato. Place the potato starch in a small bowl and light dust the leek pieces in it to help prevent them from burning. Fry the strips of leek in the same hot oil until golden; about 1 minute. Add to the bowl of fries and mix them together. Garnish in a little mound on top of the soup at time of serving.