- The Garlic Box - Fresh Peeled Garlic Cloves - 1 X ½ lb. bag
- Olive oil -
- butter - 1 tbsp
- Ontario leeks, chopped - 4
- Ontario onion, chopped - 1
- all-purpose flour - ¼ c.
- chicken broth - 5 cups (1.25L)
- dry vermouth or additional chicken broth - ½ c. (125ml)
- dried marjoram and thyme - ¼ tsp. (1ml) each
- light cream or milk - 1 cup (250ml)
- Roquefort or Stilton cheese, crumbled - 4oz (125g)
- snipped fresh chives or chopped parsley - 2 tbsp. (25ml) each
Toss bag of The Garlic Box - Fresh Peeled Garlic Cloves with olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
Roast in preheated 325°F oven approximately 25 minutes, until tender and beginning to brown (do not overcook or dry out).
In large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and 1 tbsp olive oil (1 tbsp.).
Add leeks and onion, sweat about 8 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
Mash roasted garlic into a paste. Add to cooked onions and leeks, stirring to blend.
Stir in flour and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and gradually stir in broth and vermouth (if using), marjoram and thyme.
Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for 30 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Puree in batches in blender or food processor. (Soup can be covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day.)
Return soup to saucepan. Stir in cream and salt and pepper to taste. Reheat gently but do not boil.
Transfer to heated soup tureen or warm soup bowls.
Meanwhile, stir together cheese, chives and parsley; sprinkle about 1 tbsp. on each serving.