The best potatoes for mashing are Yukon Gold or yellow-flesh. Their texture creates a fluffy mash that's tasty even before you add butter and cream. for better absorption and texture, be sure to heat the liquid ingredients before adding them to the mashed potatoes.
- yellow-flesh potatoes, peeled and cut into even-size chunks - 2 lbs (1kg)
- warm milk or cream - 1/2 c (125ml)
- soft butter - 1/4 c (60ml)
- Ultimate Garlic Mashed Potato Seasoning - 1 heaping tbsp
- salt & pepper to taste -
1. Place potatoes in a pot and cover with cold, salted water. Bring to a boil for 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
2. While potatoes are cooking, add Garlic Mashed Potato Seasoning to butter. Mix well and set aside.
3. OPTIONAL: If mincing in fresh garlic, add to warm milk or cream now to soak, set aside.
4. Drain potatoes and return to pot. Place pot over turned-off burner and shake pan to make sure potatoes are really dry.
5. Either rice potatoes through a food mill or use an electric mixer for the best texture (if using electric; don't overheat or potatoes will become gummy). Mash in the flavoured butter well. Add milk to desired consistency.
6. Season well with salt and pepper
Potatoes should be creamy.
* use buttermilk instead of milk * use potato cooking water instead of milk. * replace milk with goats cheese. * mash in roasted garlic