This delicious meal can be made in no time at all with minimal effort and maximum satisfaction! During the week or preparing for the weekend a chicken and some earthy potatoes all covered in delicious local garlic goes a long way.
- Chicken Quarters - 2-3 pounds
- Ontario Garlic Cloves - 10-12 cloves
- Smoked Garlic Seasoning - 1 tsp
- Epic Garlicky Fry Salt - optional
- Olive Oil -
- Yukon Gold baby potatoes - 2 Pounds
- A heavy object as a weight -
- a round plate to cover the chicken -
- parsley - to garnish
1) Add the garlic, smoked garlic seasoning, Epic Salt, and a tsp of olive oil to a blender or food processor. Process until a smooth paste forms. Add more olive oil if necessary to get the mixture smoother.
2) Pat dry the chicken quarters and slather the garlic mixture onto the quarters. Making sure to cover all nooks and crannies, most importantly getting plenty of the garlic mixture under the skin to penetrate the bird with flavour.
3) In a bowl, toss the potatoes with a tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with additional Epic Salt and Smoked Garlic Seasoning. Toss to combine.
4) Add olive oil to a heavy bottomed pan that is large enough to fit the potatoes and the chicken. A cast iron dutch oven works best here. Heat the pan to medium-high heat.
5) Add the chicken quarters tot the pan SKIN SIDE DOWN. Place the potatoes around the chicken. Add the plate on top of the chicken and then the weight on top of the plate. Allow to cook for 5 minutes uninterrupted.
6) Remove the weight and the plate carefully with a kitchen towel as the plate will be searingly hot! Now, flip the chicken and the potatoes. Add the plate and weight again. Allow to cook for another 5 minutes uninterrupted.
7) Repeat these steps another 2 more times, making sure to keep the heat at medium, otherwise the chicken will burn.
TOP TIP: The chicken will be done when the juices from the bird run clear!