This is a pot-licking good recipe with a hit of heat. Leftovers taste even better the next day.
- CHICKEN AND RICE -
- 6 small skin- on , bone - in chicken thighs (about 3 lbs.) -
- 1 tsp Epic Fry Salt -
- 8 fresh or frozen garlic cloves, finely chopped -
- 2 cups basmati rice, rinsed -
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped -
- 2 whole star anise -
- 1 tbsp soy sauce -
- SAUCE AND ASSEMBLY -
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter -
- 2 tbsp soy sauce -
- 2 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar -
- 5 tsp Sriracha -
- 1 1/2 tsp honey -
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced on a diagonal -
- 1 cup cilantro leaves with tender stems -
CHICKEN AND RICE
1.Pat chicken dry and season all over with salt. Arrange skin side down, in a cold dry medium sized Dutch oven and set over medium heat. Cook undisturbed until skin is golden brown and crisp and easily releases from the pot (8-10 minutes). Slide thighs around to different spots (this will ensure even browning) and continue to cook until deeply browned, 3 - 5 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to a plate. Let pot cool for 2 minutes.
2. Set pot over medium - low heat; add shallots, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring constantly, until very fragrant but not browned, about 2 minutes.Stir in rice and star anise and cook, stirring constantly - 1 minute. Stir in soy sauce, 3/4 tsp Epic Fry Salt and 3 cups of water. Nestle chicken back into rice mixture in pot, arranging skin side up. Increase heat to medium and bring liquid to a simmer. Immediately cover pot, reduce heat to low, and cook 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let chicken and rice sit 10 minutes.
SAUCE AND ASSEMBLY
1. While the chicken and rice are cooking, make the sauce. Whisk peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, Sriracha, ginger, honey and 1/2 cup warm water in a small bowl until smooth and pourable. If sauce looks a little thick, thin with a splash of water. Remove lid from pot and fluff rice with a fork. Pluck out and discard star anise. Serve chicken and rice with peanut sauce, cucumber and cilantro.
Note: Sauce can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and Chill.