Compliment Recipe by James Eddington propretier of Eddington's of Exeter
A meal in itself; ideal to serve vegetarians or with any BBQ entree.
- Olive Oil - 6 tbsp.
- Balsamic Vinegar - 2 tbsp.
- Fresh/Frozen Ontario Garlic - 1/2 bulb sliced (optional 3 frozen cloves)
- Fresh Thyme Leaves - 2 tbsp.
- Red Onion - 1 large, sliced into 6 rounds
- Baby Beets - 12, stems trimmed to 1
- Zucchini - 3 small, quartered lengthwise
- Baby Eggplant - 3, quatered lengthwise
- Salt and Pepper - to taste
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese - 4 tbsp.
- Fresh Parsley - 2 tbsp, chopped
Put the oil, vinegar and thyme into a large bowl and whisk lightly. Add onions, garlic and beets; toss well. With a slotted spoon, lift them out and spread on a hinged wired BBQ rack. Add remaining vegetables to bowl and toss well. Use a slotted spoon and lift them into a second hinged rack. Lightly season both sides of vegetables with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat (on BBQ) turning occasionally. Allow onion mixture 10 min. on each side and zucchini mixture 6 min. per side. Pour vegetables onto decorative platter, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Chef's Cooking Tips:
To revive limp vegetables and herbs, trim the bottom portion of the stem, place in water and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Blanching your vegetables. Submerge into boiling water for a few minutes, remove and place in ice cold water. This process will maintain the colour of the vegetables allowing you to reheat later or use in a cold dish such as a salad.
Onions can add flavor to just about everything.
Put onions in freezer 20 minutes before chopping. This will held with the tears!