To take advantage of the short window fresh garlic scapes are available, make a pesto and freeze in ice-cube trays before storing in freezer bags. Through out the winter, pop a garlic scape pesto cube into your favourite dishes. It's a great way to add flavour and increase your nutritional intake. Making pesto is an art, not a science - so have fun!
- Fresh Garlic Scapes - 1 cup, coarsely chopped (about 10)
- Olive oil (or oil of your choice) - ½ cup
- Freshly Parmesan Cheese - 1/2 cup, grated
- Walnuts, Pine Nuts or Sunflower Seeds - ½ cup
- Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice - 2 tbsp
- Salt (or to taste) - ¼ tsp
1) Place all ingredients into a food processor and puree adding 1 tsp. more liquid at a time to desired consistency.
2) Scrape into a bowl, seal and store 1 week in fridge.
10 Healthy ways to eat scape pesto.......
1) add to omlettes
2)stir into mayonnaise for a sandwich spread
3) toss with roasted vegetables thinned with oil
4) whirl into your salad dressings
5) mash into your devilled eggs
6) mix into rice, risotto and pasta
7) spread on pizza crust
8) dollop onto soups
9) garnish fish, pork, chicken
10) spread on crusty bread with goat cheese