- Onion - 1, grated
- Baking potatoes (like russet) - peeled and grated
- All-purpose flour - 2 tbsp, plus more as needed
- Large eggs - 2
- Horseradish Mashed Potato Seasoning - 2 tbsp
- Horseradish Marinating Splash - 1 tbsp
- Olive oil - 6 tbsp
- Creme fraiche or sour cream - 1 cup
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Fresh dill sprigs, for garnish
1. In a bowl, combine the onion and potato. Dust with flour and mix to disperse it. Add the eggs, Horseradish Potato Seasoning, Horseradish Marinating Splash, lemon zest, fresh dill, salt and pepper, and mix until well combined.
2. In a large non-stick saute pan, heat the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Once the bubbles from the butter subside, spoon three heaping tablespoons of the potato mixture into the saute pan. Repeat, making 8-12 pancakes. Cook pancakes about 4 minutes on each side, assuring that both sides are well browned and the potato is cooked through. Reduce the heat if the potato cakes are browning too quickly to ensure the inside is cooked completely.
3. Remove the cakes to a paper towel lined plate as they finish, and season with salt while hot. You can cover them with foil and keep in a 200 degree(F) oven to stay warm until ready to serve.
4. To serve, transfer potato cakes to a platter and dollop each one with creme fraiche (or sour cream). Top with a sprig of dill.