- Ontario garlic, peeled - 20 cloves (optional: 1/2lb. frozen garlic)
- butter, divided - 2 tbsp.
- Roasted Garlic Oil, divided - 2 tbsp.
- large onions, diced - 3 (1 ¼ cups)
- large Yukon Gold potatoes - 2, cut into 1” cubes
- bay leaf - 1
- sprig thyme (or fresh whole sage leaf) - 1
- chicken broth - 3 cups
- 35% whipping cream - 2 cups
- honey - 2 tbsp
- Salt and Pepper - to taste
Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
In 4-cup baking dish, melt 1 tbsp. butter with Roasted Garlic Oil; add garlic cloves & toss.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake 15-20 minutes or until garlic is golden brown; stirring halfway.
Toss 6-8 cloves with honey for garnish and set aside.
In large pot over medium heat, melt remaining butter with Roasted Garlic Oil.
Add onions, reduce heat medium low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
Uncover and cook 5 minutes more, stirring often.
Add potatoes, thyme, bay leaf and remaining roasted garlic cloves; sauté for 3 minutes over medium heat.
Stir in broth and 1 cup of cream.
Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
Remove from heat; let stand for 10 minutes to cool.
Remove bay leaf and thyme.
In a blender, in batches, puree until smooth; return to pot. Stir in remaining cream and bring to a simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with reserved honey-roasted garlic.