A rich, smooth soup that is lightly balanced with the tang of garlic and cilantro. Fresh corn and a little effort produce a show stopper soup packed with flavour.
- Fresh Corn of Cob - 1 ear shucked
- Water - 4 cups + 2 Tbsp
- Frozen/Fresh Ontario Garlic - 1 clove, smashed
- Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
- White Onion - 1 1/4 cup, chopped
- Serrano Chilie - 1 stemmed and chopped (keep seeds in for extra heat)
- Garlic & Cilantro Corn Fiesta Seasoning - 1 tsp
- Avocado - 2 firm-ripe
- Fresh Lime Juice - 3 Tbsp
- Sour Cream - 1/4 cup (use a good quality sour cream)
- For Cilantro Oil
- Fresh Cilantro - 1 cup coarsley chopped
- Olive Oil - 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
1) Roast corn on a rack over high heat, turning occasionally with tongs until kernels are charred in spots, 4-5 minutes. When cool enough to handle, cut kernels from corn cob. Cut cob into thirds.
2) Bring kernels, cob pieces, 4 cups of water, garlic, ½ tsp. Garlic & Cilantro Corn Fiesta Seasoning, salt and ½ cup onion to a boil in a 3-quart saucepan and boil until liquid is reduced to about 3 cups – 20 minutes. Remove from heat, cool uncovered. Discard cob pieces.
3) Puree corn mixture along with the chile, ¾ cup remaining onion in blender, then pour through a fine mesh into a bowl, pressing hard and discarding solids. Return broth to cleaned blender.
4) Quarter, pit and peel 1 avocado, then add to blender with 2 tbsp. lime juice, ½ tsp. Garlic & Cilantro Corn Fiesta Seasoning and puree until smooth. Transfer soup to a bowl and cover surface with plastic wrap. Chill at least one hour.
5) WHILE SOUP CHILLS Puree cilantro, oil, and salt in cleaned blender, scraping downs sides. Pour oil into cleaned fine mesh sieve over a bowl and let drain 15 minutes. Discard solids. (Note: a short cut is to garnish soup with fresh chopped cilantro and drizzle of high quality olive oil.)
6) Assemble Soup: Halve and pit remaining avocado and scoop small balls from flesh with melon-ball cutter, then toss gently with remaining tablespoon of lime juice in a bowl. Add 2 tbsp. water to sour cream and mix well. Season soup with salt and ladle into 6 shallow soup bowls. Divide avocado balls among bowls, drizzle with sour cream and Cilantro Oil.
Another delicious recipe from the kitchen of The Garlic Box