Enjoy the sweeter side of Ontario's Garlic high BRIX level.
Recipe by: From Farm to Table by Lynn Ogryzlo
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Ontario Garlic Cloves - 16 peeled
- Roasted Garlic Oil w Scapes ( or your choice of oil ) - 1 1/2 cup ( 22.5 ml )
- Tomatoes - 8 fresh roma
- Salt and pepper -
- Fresh Thyme - 3 tbsp minced ( 45 ml )
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil -
- Italian Crostini - 16 thin slices
- Ontario Garlic Clove - 1 raw
- Ricotta or Feta Cheese - 6 ounces ( 125 grams ) room temperature
Bring water and sugar to a boil, reduce heat and add peeled garlic cloves.
Gently simmer garlic until soft, about 15 minutes Drain and let dry.
Warm Roasted Garlic oil ( or oil of your choosing ) in a skillet and sauté garlic cloves until lightly browned, stirring to coat the cloves with oil.
Slice tomatoes in half lengthwise, scoop out and discard the seeds and pulp.
Place tomato shells on a cookie sheet, skin side down and sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme.
Drizzle with olive oil and bake at 250F (120C) for 1 hour. Remove from oven. Brush crostini with olive oil and rub with the raw garlic clove.
To serve, place a tomato slice on a crostini. Top with a smearing of ricotta or feta cheese and one or two cooked garlic cloves.
Season with salt and pepper.
Make 16 appetizers