- Spaghetti - 1 lb
- Lemon Zest - 4 3
- Asparagus - 1 large bunch, trimmed, thinly sliced on a deep diagonal
- Extra-virgin olive oil - 2/3 cup
- Garlic cloves - The Garlic Box Frozen Cloves - 4, smashed
- Basil leaves - 8 large
- Lemons - 2, halved
- Parmesan - 2 oz, finely grated (about 1 cup), plus more for serving
Kosher Salt - to taste
Crushed red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp
1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain pasta and reserve 11/2 cups of pasta water.
2. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add asparagus, season with salt, and cook, stirring often, until just beginning to take colour (about 1 minute). Add garlic, lemon zest, and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
3. Add pasta and basil to pot with asparagus mixture and return to medium-high heat. Squeeze juice from both lemons into pot and add 2 oz parmesan and 1 cup of reserved pasta water. Cook, tossing vigorously and adding more pasta water if needed, until sauce is creamy and emulsified and pasta is coated, about 1 minute. Taste and season with more salt if needed. Remove and discard garlic.
4. Divide pasta among bowls, placing a lemon strip in each, and top with more parmesan.