This soup was developed for the Seaforth Souper Saturday
- Frozen or fresh Ontario garlic cloves - 1 cup (throw into the soup pot frozen)
- Beets - 4 cups blanched, peeled and diced
- Onion - 1 cup, chopped
- White Wine - 1 cup
- Carrots - 1/2 cup, diced
- Olive Oil - 3/4 cup
- Chicken Stock - 6 cups
- Butter - 1 cup
- Lemon - 1, juiced
- Salt and Pepper to taste -
- Maple Garlic Infused Sweet Cream
- 35% Cream - 1/2 cup
- Garlic Cloves - 3 fresh or frozen
- Maple Syrup - 1/2 cup
Process for Infused Cream: To simmering maple syrup add garlic, cook until caramelized (do not burn or over brown). Most liquid will be gone. Remove from heat; add cream to pot and cover with a tight lid. Allow to sit to infuse cream while soup cooks. Strain cream and pour into a skirt bottle to drizzle on soup. Keep garlic for another use.
1) In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add garlic, saute' 2 minutes. Add onion and continue saute'ing until browned. Add carrots and salt and pepper to taste. Continue to saute' until carrots glisten.
2) Add white wine, cooking until wine reduces by half.
3) Add beets and stock. Cover and simmer until beets are tender.
4)Remove from heat, add butter, lemon juice and season to taste. Blend in blender. If too thick add more stock.
Serve with a drizzling of the Maple Garlic Infused Cream.
Alternate garnishments include: Chopped boiled eggs, goats cheese slice, pesto or sour cream.