An easy and elegant Easter dinner to sweeten up your spring
- Young Duck - 6lb
- salt and pepper - for seasoning duck
- Maple Orange Garlic Sauce - 1/2 cup and 1/2 cup reserved
- Freshly chopped ginger - 2 tbsp
- Duck, beef or chicken stock - 1 1/2 cup
- Garlic Balsamic Vinegar - 2tbsp
- Oranges - 1 peeled and segmented & 1 whole orange quartred (skin 0n)
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Prepare duck. Remove giblets. Clean bird under cold running water. Shake off all excess water and pat dry with paper towels. Place on a wire rack in roasting pan lined with foil.
- Using a sharp knife score the fat (not the meat underneath) to allow fat to escape and produce a crispier roasted duck. Season duck with salt and pepper. Place quartered orange in cavity to keep duck moist. Tuck in wings.
- Roast breast side up 1hr. Remove from oven and poke fat around legs. Flip the breast-side down, return for 1 hr.
- Repeat for another 2 hours. Duck will be getting progressively darker.
- Remove duck from oven and carefully spoon fat away from the duck in roasting pan (keep for sauce or future roasting of potatoes or veggies).
- Brush duck with 1/4 cup of Maple Orange Garlic sauce with chopped ginger blend.
- Turn oven up to 400F. Return duck to oven cooking another 10 min, watching careful so you don't burn, for glistening skin.
- TO MAKE GLAZE: Pour 1 1/2 cup defatted duck stock (or chicken or beef stock) into sauce pan, simmering until reduced by half. Add the 1/2 cup reserved Maple Orange Garlic sauce with ginger and Garlic Balsamic Vinegar. Simmer to thicken (do not burn).
- Remove duck from oven, rest 10 min, covered before carving.
- Serve with drizzle of Maple Orange Garlic Sauce with ginger and fresh orange segments.