You can make this salad ahead; if it sits at room temperature for a few hours, the lemon vinaigrette really has time to soak into the quinoa and vegetables, so the salad is even more delicious.
- Quinoa - 1 cup
- Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Black Pepper -
- Lemons - 1/4 cup freshly squeezed (2 lemons)
- Olive Oil - 1/4 cup
- Fresh Garlic Scapes (Scallions, optional) - 1 cup thinly sliced (5)
- Fresh Mint Leaves - 1 cup chopped (2 bunches)
- Fresh Flat-Leaf Parsley - 1 cup chopped
- Cucumber - 1, medium unpeeled, seeded & diced
- Cherry Tomatoes - 2 cups halved through the stem
- Feta Cheese - 2 cups medium-diced (8 ounces)
- Garlic Scape Sea Salt - to taste
1) Pour 2 cups of water into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the quinoa and 1 tsp. of salt, lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, until the grans are tender and open (they'll have little curly tails). Drain, place in a bowl and immediately add the lemon juice, olive oil and salt to taste.
2) In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil, quickly blanch whole garlic scapes about 1 minute. Remove with slotted spoon, rinse in cold water, pat dry and slice.
3) In a large bowl, combine the garlic scapes, mint, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, 1 to 2 teaspoons of garlic scape sea salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Add the quinoa and mix well. Carefully fold in the feta and taste for seasoning. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate and serve cold.
Make-Ahead Plan: Prepare the salad without the feta, cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Fold in the feta and serve.
Another delicious recipe from the kitchen of The Garlic Box