Nella's Prize Winning Recipe
- carrots cut in julienne strips (cauliflower works well in this salad) - 1.5 lbs.
- medium onion cut in rings - 1
- green pepper cut in rings (optional: red peppers) - 1
- white vinegar - 1/4 cup
- sugar - 3 tbsp.
- salad oil - 3 tbsp.
- ketchup - 1 tbsp.
- Garlic Steak Splash - 2 tbsp.
- celery seed (optional) - 1/2 tsp.
- Worcestershire sauce - 1/2 tsp.
- prepared mustard - 1/2 tsp.
Blanch carrots in salted boiling water, a la dente. Drain and cool quickly under
In a serving bowl, layer carrots, onion and pepper. In a small jar, combine
remaining ingredients. Shake well to blend. Pour over carrots, cover and chill at
least four hours or overnight, stirring several times. This salad will keep for one
week or more in the refrigerator.
Note: This recipe has ample room for variations. Shredded, uncooked carrot can
replace the julienned cooked. Red pepper can accompany the green. A flourish of
slivered almonds or raisins is a nice finish.