Go ahead, be human-have a potato garlic pizza- loaded. This will help the winter mood.
- Pizza Dough - 24 oz homemade or store bought
- All purpose flour - 1/2 cup for dusting
- Garlic Scape & Kale Pesto - 1 cup
- Mozzarella or Provolone cheese - 2-3 cups
- Garlic cloves - 1 cup roasted or confit
- Red Potatoes - 4 very thinly sliced
- Garlicky Italian Seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- salt and fresh ground pepper - to taste
- Red pepper flakes - crushed
- Olive Oil or Roasted Garlic oil w scapes -
1.Place a pizza stone in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 500. Allow the stone to heat for at least half hour before baking. If you have purchased your pizza dough please skip step 2.
2.Allow the pizza dough to come to room temperature. On a lightly-floured work surface, form the dough into two large balls, collecting the sides and tucking them under to create a smooth outer surface. Cover the dough with a damp towel and allow to rest for at least 20 min.
3. Meanwhile, blanch the potato slices in boiling water until just cooked through, anywhere between 1-2 min. Drain and allow to cool slightly before drying the slices with paper towel and coating them with a touch of olive oil, a pinch of Italian seasoning and salt.
4. Generously dust a wooden peel or the back of a sheet pan with flour or cornmeal. With lightly-floured hands, press the dough with your fingertips to form a flattened disk. Lift the dough up and use the back of your knuckles to stretch and thin-out the dough into a circle with a diameter of 12 inches. Be careful to preserve the edge of the dough if you want a light, chewy crust. Carefully position the stretched dough onto the prepared peel or baking sheet.
5. Using a large spoon, spread an even layer of the Garlic scape and kale pesto on to the dough and carefully spread it to within 1/2 inch of the edge, being careful to leave a sauce free edge. Top with an even layer of the grated mozzarella/provolone cheese followed by slices of parboiled potato and roasted garlic cloves. Top with a light sprinkle of a bit more mozzarella, season with salt to taste and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Lightly brush the exposed crust with a bit of Olive oil ( roasted garlic oil with scapes) to promote browning.
6. Carefully slide the pizza onto the preheated stone and bake until is crisp and golden and the cheese is bubbling and just beginning to brown, about 6-7 min. remove pizza from the oven and allow it to rest for a few min before slicing.
This makes enough for two pizzas