These leftover mashed potato cakes make an amazing side dish or light dinner or lunch! These are the perfect way to enjoy leftover potatoes and the flavor combinations are endless. Add some protein and a few peas and turn it into a lunch!
- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes -
- 1 cup shredded cheese -
- 1/2 cup flour -
- 6 strips bacon -
- 1 medium onion chopped (or 1/4 green onion) -
- 4 tbsp. butter or margarine -
- 2 heaping tbsp. of any of The Garlic Box Seasonings - you choose - Garlic Box Mashed Potato Seasoning, Garlicky Italian, Caramelized Onion Potato Seasoning
- 2 eggs -
1. Fry the bacon until crispy and drain on a paper towel until cool. Crumble into small bits. Place the bacon bits in a large bowl.
2. Pour off all but 2 tbsp. bacon grease from the frying pan and cook the garlic and white onion over medium heat until translucent. (If using green onion it is not necessary to precook)
3. Add to the bacon bits along with remaining ingredients (except butter/margarine) and blend well with a spoon, or your hands. Add salt and pepper to taste. (It will be sticky)
4. Wash and dry your frying pan, then melt 1 tbsp. butter or margarine in it over medium heat.
5. Scoop up about 1/4 of a cup of potato mixture and form it into a ball. Place it in the hot pan, flattening it out until it's about 1/2 - 3/4 " thick.
6. Fry for about 3 minutes on each side, until they are lightly golden brown.
7. For best results, serve immediately, while hot and crispy.
8. Top with green onions, sour cream or ketchup.