A hearty and satisfying soup that is a one course meal
- olive oil - 2 tbsp.
- fully cooked hot Italian Sausage cut in ½” cubes - 1lb
- large onion, chopped (about 3 cups) - 1
- large carrots peeled, chopped - 2
- large parsnips, peeled, chopped (or potatoes) - 2
- large celery stalks chopped - 2
- Super Garlicky Italian Seasoning - 2 1/2 tsp.
- green (or brown) lentils - 1lb
- quarts (or more) low-salt chicken broth - 3
- baby spinach leaves - 1 8oz pkg
Heat oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned,
stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to
bowl. Add onion, carrots, parsnips, celery and Italian seasoning blend to
drippings in pot; cook until onion is translucent and vegetables begin to soften,
stirring often, 7-8 minutes.
Add lentils; stir to coat. Add 3 quarts broth. Bring to boil; reduce heat to simmer
until lentils are cooked; stirring occasionally and adding more broth by ¼ cups if
soup is too thick; about 20 minutes.
Add sausage to soup and simmer until vegetables are tender and flavours blend,
10-12 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Stir in spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes.
Adapted from BonAppetit