Lemon, garlic & rosemary with a good hit of black pepper is simple and a guaranteed standing ovation. Serve with your traditional sides.
- 12-14 LB Turkey (Hayter's Farm) - 1 (thawed if frozen)
- Lemons - 2
- Coarsely Cracked Black Peppercorns - 2 Tbsp.
- Kosher Salt or Garlic Scape Sea Salt -
- Onion - 1, quartered
- Celery - 2 stalks, cut into chunks
- Lemon Garlic & Rosemary Poultry Rub - 2 Tbsp.
- Bacon - 9 slices
- Unsalted Butter - 4 Tbsp.
1) Let the turkey sit at room temperature, 30 minutes. Position an oven rack in the lowest position (remove the other racks); preheat to 350F.
2) Remove turkey giblets for gravy and pat turkey dry. Zest 1 lemon, combine with pepper, 1 tbsp salt, 2 tbsp Lemon Garlic & Rosemary Poultry Seasoning. Rub 1/4 of seasoning inside bird and balance over outer skin. Cut 1 lemon into quarters; stuff inside cavity with onion and celery. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Place turkey on a rack set in a large roasting pan and tuck the wings under the body.
3) Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain, reserving the drippings in a skillet. Chop the bacon; set aside for the gravy. Add the butter to the skillet with the drippings and stir until melted, pour into a bowl stirring in juice of one reamed lemon. Let the lemon butter cool slightly, then brush all over the turkey. Transfer to the oven and roast 1 hour.Meanwhile, make Classic Gravy (see www.garlicrecipes.ca).
4) After the turkey has roasted 1 hour, baste it with the drippings. Continue roasting, basting every 30 minutes, until the skin is golden brown and a thermometer inserted into the thigh registers 165 F, about 2 hours.
5) Transfer the turkey to a cutting board and let rest 30 minutes before carving; reserve the drippings for the gravy. Stir the chopped bacon into the finished gravy.
Another delicious recipe from the kitchen of The Garlic Box