For a vegetarian option skip the sausage, add canned beans and use vegetable stock. Serve with warm sourdough bread and more salsa as desired.
- 2 tbsp butter -
- 3 leeks, halved and thinly sliced -
- 1/2 onion, chopped -
- 3 cloves Ontario Garlic fresh/frozen -
- 3 stalks celery, diced -
- 3 carrots, diced -
- 1 small head cabbage, thinly sliced -
- 3 cups water -
- 1 cup salsa -
- 1/3 cup ketchup -
- 4 cubes chicken bouillon -
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning -
- salt and ground pepper to taste -
- 1/2 lb sausage, thinly sliced -
1. Heat butter in a large Dutch over or heavy stockpot over medium heat. Cook and stir leeks, onion and garlic until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Add celery and carrots; cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes. Add cabbage cook and stir until slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
2/ Mix water, salsa, ketchup, bouillon cubes, Creole seasoning, salt and pepper into vegetable mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until flavors blend in soup, approx. 20 minutes. Add sausage to soup and simmer until cook through about 20 minutes more.