- medium onion - 1
- Garlic & Horseradish Potato Seasoning - 2 tbsp.
- carrots (plus parsnip & turnips-optional) - 3/4 lb.
- mushrooms - 6 oz.
- fresh gingerroot (optional) - 3
- can whole tomatoes - 28 - 32 oz.
- chuck roast - 3 lb.
- olive oil - 2 tbsp.
- cup each Tawny Port and red wine - 3/4
- cups beef or chicken broth - 2
- Worcestershire sauce - 2 tbsp.
- packed brown sugar - 1 tbsp.
- bay leaves - 3
- each dried thyme and oregano crumbled - 1 tsp.
- cornstarch - 3 tbsp.
- water - 3 tbsp.
Chop onion, peel & slice carrots and cut mushrooms in slices.
Peel gingerroot and mince to make 1/4 cup.
Drain tomatoes and chop.
Season roast with salt and pepper. Add oil to a 5 qt. kettle and brown roast on all
Place roast on plate and pour off all fat but 1 tbsp.
Add onion to kettle and cook until golden. Add Garlic & Horseradish Potato
Seasoning, Port and wine scraping bottom to loosen brown bits.
Stir in broth, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, gingerroot, tomatoes, bay
leaves, thyme and oregano bringing to a boil.
Add roast and vegetables cover cooking for 3 hours until tender, turning roast half
Transfer roast to cutting board and remove excess fat if desired.
Bring remaining sauce and vegetable to a boil. Mix cornstarch and water in small
bowl until smooth. Add to sauce and simmer stirring until desired thickness.
Slice roast, serve meat and vegetables on platter covering the
meat with sauce