Piccata can be served on rice, pasta, quinoa, or couscous depending on your tastes. Using freshly made fettuccine works very well here with the lemon. A simple and summery recipe that is sure to delight this Labour Day weekend! Add the last remaining asparagus sprigs of the season for an extra something special that will wow everyone at the table.
- fresh chopped Ontario garlic - 3 cloves minced (add more for the garlic lovers)
- 225g block of Halloumi - sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- Mixed Market mushrooms - generous handfull
- Butter - 2 tbsp
- unwaxed lemon - juice and zest
- capers - 1 tbsp
- Fresh black pepepr -
- parsley - finely chopped
- Asparagus - Optional
- Choice of Side - pasta, rice, quinoa, couscous
1) Cook the halloumi in a dry frying pan over a medium heat, until crisp and golden. The fat content in the cheese does not need an addition of oil for cooking.
2) Turn the heat down low, and push the halloumi to the edges of the pan. Add the butter. mushrooms, and garlic to the centre of the pan. Cook for a few moments until the mushrooms are soft.
3) Add the lemon juice and zest, capers, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Cook for a few more minutes. Serve with fresh parsley.
4) Serve over preferred side.