- 1 lb of onions -
- 3 tbsp olive oil -
- 4 garlic cloves- Fresh or Frozen - 3 peeled and chopped - 1 peeled and left whole -
- 1 tsp sugar -
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme -
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour -
- 1/2 cup dry white wine -
- 8 cups vegetable stock -
- 6 slices of french bread -
- 3 cups grated Swiss cheese -
- Fresh thyme sprigs to garnish -
- 2 Tbsp Caramelized Onion Seasoning -
1. Thinly slice the onions. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pan, then add onions and cook stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, until they are just beginning to brown. Stir in the chopped garlic, sugar, and thyme, then reduce the heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, or until the onions are golden brown.
2. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the wine and 2 tbsp of Caramelized Onion Seasoning. Gradually stir in the stock and bring to a boil, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface, then reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, toast the bread on both sides under a preheated medium broiler. Rub the toast with the whole garlic clove.
3. Ladle the soup into 6 flameproof bowls set on a cookie sheet. Float a piece of toast in each bowl and divide the grated cheese among them. Place under a preheated medium-hot broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Garnish with thyme and serve.