This recipe is inspired by the Italian cucina. Tuscany, known for its fresh and simple food has delighted the world with cuisine for hundreds of years. Bringing its simplicity into the home and onto the table is a true delight. As we move into the summer months adding fresh green foods to the diet is vital for healthy mind, body, and soul. A simple recipe for a midweek meal, or to entertain on the weekend. A basil pasta and fresh Ontario scapes are sure to delight everyone.
- Oliviera Basil Fettuccine - 300 g
- Fresh Garlic Scapes - 680 gr
- Water - 4 cups
- Cheese Parmigiano or Romano ( optional ) - 128 gr
- Fresh lemon - juice and zest
- 2 tablespoons Roasted Garlic Oil - to taste
1. Begin by preparing the scapes. Trim off flower bud and woody end of the scapes leaving only the deepest green parts. Cut into 2 inch length pieces.
2. Grate your cheese and set it aside in a cool place to be used later.
3. Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. Once the water is boiling add a generous amount of sea salt to the water. Pasta requires large amounts of salt in the water. (table salt will do in a pinch if needed)
4. Place your scapes in a steamer containing about 1/4 cup of water in the bottom of the steamer. If using a stovetop steaming place about a cup in the bottom of the pan. Steam the scapes for 6 minutes. Check the texture every couple of minutes to ensure the scapes are not over cooked.
5.Place your pasta in the water. The cooking time will vary depending on the cooking appliance used. In general the pasta should take no more than 5 minutes. (follow packet instructions if needed)
6. Drain your pasta and return back to the pot. (chef's tip: hold back some of the pasta water and put it back into the pot with the pasta. This will help the sauce or oil stick to the pasta better)
7. Add the freshly steamed scapes to your pasta. Finely zest over half of the lemon Zest. Pay attention not to zest the white pith as this portion of the fruit is very bitter. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze generously over the pasta.
8. Squeeze over the pasta a fine quality garlic oil to enhance the flavour of the dish.
9. Finally, sprinkle the fresh parmesan over the dish to finish it off. Use as much or as little to taste here. The cheese will deepen the garlic flavour and enhance the sauce.
10. To present, fresh parsley (optional)