Black garlic a simple food with a wonderfully complex flavour. Black garlic is sweet meets savoury, a perfect mix of molasses-like richness and tangy garlic undertones.
- tomatoes - 1 cup diced or optional sliced (4 roma tomato)
- Red onion - 1/4 cup diced
- Black garlic (optional fresh or frozen ) - 2 cloves chopped
- Fresh or frozen garlic - 1 clove minced
- Fresh Basil leaves - 5 chopped
- Olive oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic Balsamic Vinegar - 1/2 cup
- Fresh Baguette - 1/2 loaf sliced in 1/2 inch slices
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp
- Liquid Honey - 1 tsp
- Chevre Cheese (optional Feta cheese) - garnish
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic if using fresh (black garlic skip to glaze), basil, 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to combine and store in the refrigerator for one hour (you don't have to wait this long, but it is recommended to bring out the all the flavours).
Garlic Balsamic Glaze:
- In a small sauce pan, heat the garlic balsamic vinegar and black garlic over medium heat until it boils ( garlic will infuse and cook into glaze). Continue to cook 4-5 minutes until the sauce is reduced by half.
- Pour the glaze into a small bowl and set aside, whisk in honey. The glaze will continue to thicken when removed from heat.
Make the Bruschetta:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil with fresh minced garlic (or frozen grated)
- Brush the top side of each baguette slice with the olive oil mixture.
- Place slices onto a lined baking tray and bake for about 10 minutes, until light golden brown
- Top each slice of baguette with a slice of good quality chevre cheese on bread and a spoonful of the tomato mixture, then a drizzle of the garlic balsamic glaze onto each and serve.