Your tastebuds won't believe it, but this rich, silky, Creamy Garlic Cauliflower sauce is insanely healthy! Toss it with hot pasta or use in place of 'white sauce' on a white pizza. Hooray!
- Cauliflower - 1 medium size, washed & cut into small florets
- Water - 6 cups
- Fresh/Frozen Ontario Garlic - 5-8 cloves
- Butter - 1 1/2 tbsp (omit this and add 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil to make it vegan)
- Olive Oil - 1 1/2 tsp
- Kosher Salt or Sea Salt - 1 1/4 tsp, plus a pinch separated
- Freshly Ground Black pepper - 1/2 - 1 tsp
- Additional water, milk, or Vegetable Stock - if needed
1) In a stockpot or large saucepan, combine the cauliflower florets and water over high heat. When it reaches boiling, put a lid on the pan and drop the heat to medium low. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the cauliflower is very tender.
2) While the cauliflower is simmering, melt the butter and olive oil over medium low heat in a small saucepan and stir in the garlic and the pinch of salt. Cook the garlic, stirring frequently-and lowering the heat if necessary to keep if from browning - until the garlic is tender and smells lovely. Scrape the garlic and butter into a blender carafe.
3) Add one cup of the cauliflower cooking liquid to the butter pan, swirl it, and pour that into the blender, too. Use a slotted spoon to drain the cauliflower and add it to the blender as well. Add the salt and black pepper, put the lid firmly in place, and blend on HIGH until silky smooth. If your blender is quite robust, this will only take a minute or so. If it's a little anemic, it may take several minutes.
4) If you find the sauce too thick for your liking, you can thin it just a bit with water , milk, or vegetable stock.
5) Serve immediately or pour into clean jars with tight fitting lids for storage in the refrigerator. Alternatively, you can divide into meal sized potions and freeze for later meals.
Another delicious recipe from the kitchen of The Garlic Box