- coarsely chopped yellow onions - 2 cups
- large celery stalks, coarsely chopped - 2
- salt and black pepper - Fresh cracked
- frying chicken - 1 3 ½ - 4-pound
- frozen whole cloves of Ontario garlic - 40
- Olive oil - 3 tbsp.
- dry white wine - ¼ cup
- mixed fresh herbs such as tarragon, thyme, lemon verbena, lovage, chervil, parsley, rosemary or lavender - 1/3 cup
Preheat oven to 375F
Combine onions and celery in 5 ½-quart Dutch oven, preferably cast-iron.
Rub salt and pepper inside chicken and place bird over onion mixture.
Scatter garlic cloves around chicken.
Pour olive oil, then white wine over chicken and garlic.
Season generously with more salt and pepper.
Place 2 tbsp. herbs inside chicken.
Scatter remaining herbs over chicken and garlic cloves.
Cover pot tightly, first with heavy foil, then the lid.
Roast chicken for 1 ½ hours. Chicken will be fork-tender; it will not be browned. Carve into quarters; serve with garlic and pan juices and fresh bread.