The addition of celery root is a great twist on the familiar flavors in this dish.
- SOUP -
- Vegetable oil - 2 Tbsp.
- Chicken or Turkey Thighs - 1 1/2lb sskin-on, bone-in (Optional: leftover turkey cut into chunks)
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper - To taste
- Carrots - 8 medium (about 1lb) peeled, cut into 2
- Celery Root - 1 small (about 12 oz) peeled, cut into 1/2
- Onion - 1 medium, chopped
- Leek - 1, white & pale green parts only, chopped
- Unsalted Butter - 1/2 cup (1/2 stick)
- All-purpose Flour - 1/4 cup
- Dry White Wine - 1 cup
- Low-sodium chicken broth - 4 cups
- Lemon Garlic & Rosemary Poultry Rub - 1 Tbsp
- Bay Leaves - 2
- Sherry Vinegar - 1 1/2 tsp (or more)
- All-purpose Flour - 2 1/4 cups, plus more
- Kosher Salt - 2 tsp
- Baking Powder - 3/4 tsp
- Cold Unsalted Butter - 1/2 cup (1 stick) cut into 1/2
- Buttermilk - 3/4 cup
- Sour Cream - 2 Tbsp
- Chopped Fresh Chives - 2 Tbsp or Spring Garden Greens Seasoning(optional)
- Egg - 1 large, beaten to blend
SOUP: If using leftover turkey, skip this step.
Preheat oven to 400F. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Season poultry with salt & pepper. Cook skin side down until skin is golden, 8-10 minutes; transfer to plate. Carefully drain all but 2 Tbs. fat from pot. Add carrots, celery root, onion, and leek; stir frequently until softened and beginning to brown, 8-10 minutes. Add butter; stir until melted. Add flour and stir constantly until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add wine and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until liquid is reduced by half, 5-8 minutes. Add poultry, broth, lemon garlic & rosemary poultry rub and bay leaves. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until poultry is fork tender, 35-40 minutes. Transfer poultry to a plate . Let cool slightly; shred meat, discarding skin and bones. Return shredded poultry to soup. Add 1 1/2 tsp. vinegar. Season with salt , pepper, ad more vinegar, if desired. DO AHEAD: Soup can be made 2 days ahead. Let cool slightly; chill until cold. Cover and keep chilled. Reheat before serving.
BISCUITS: Whisk flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. Add butter. Using your fingertips, blend until pea-size lumps form. Add buttermilk, sour cream,chives or (spring garden greens seasoning). Using a fork, mix until just combined. Gather mixture into a ball and knead in bowl just until a shaggy dough forms, 3 or 4 times. Transfer dough to a floured work surface and pat into a 3/4"-to 1"-thick round. Cut out rounds with a 2" biscuit cutter or small glass. Gather dough and repeat patting and cutting. Transfer to a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet; brush with egg. Bake biscuits until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. DO AHEAD: Biscuits can be made 8 hours ahead. Let cool completely and store airtight at room temperature. Divide soup among bowls and top with biscuits.
Another delicious recipe from the kitchen of The Garlic Box