A mild, but tasty garlic works well for this recipe.
- Fresh, sweet strawberries - 2 pints, cleaned and cut in half
- Basswood Honey (may sub with white sugar) - 2 tbsp
- White sugar - 2 tbsp
- Butter - 2 tbsp
- Frozen/Fresh Market Garlic - 1 head(approx 6-8 cloves) peeled and slivered
- Bittersweet chocolate - 4 ounces
- Ripe Brie - 2 (8oz) rounds, at room temperature
- Freshly cracked black pepper (optional) -
- Sweet French Baguette - 1, thinly sliced
Place strawberries in a bowl, drizzle with honey, toss lightly and refrigerate.
Preheat oven to 300F. In a small ovenproof pan or skillet, melt the butter, add the garlic, shake to distribute evenly and then sprinkle the remaining sugar over the top. Place in oven until garlic is completely tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
Set the brie on a large flat serving platter. In a double boiler, melt the chocolate. Carefully fold in the slivered garlic and pour the mixture over both rounds of brie. Spoon the strawberries and their juice onto the platter, not on the top of the chocolate sauce but surrounding it. Season strawberries with a flourish of fresh cracked black pepper to taste. Arrange baguette slices on the edge of the platter or in a separate basket. Serve immediately