This is a delicious and easy salad which takes little time and is a great meatless main course. It uses beets, goat cheese, candied walnuts and baby greens.
- Beets - 4 medium, scrubbed, trimmed & cut in half
- Walnuts - 1/3 cup chopped
- Maple Syrup - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed Baby Salad Greens - 1 (10 ounce) package
- Orange Juice - 1/2 cup frozen concentrate
- Balsamic Vinegar with Garlic - 1/4 cup
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil - 1/2 cup
- Fresh/Frozen Ontario Garlic - 1 clove, grated
- Goat Cheese - 2 ounces
1) Place beets into a saucepan, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until tender. Drain and slip skins off of cooled beets, then cut in to cubes.
2) While the beets are cooking, place the walnuts in a skillet over medium-low heat. Heat until warm and starting to toast, then stir in the maple syrup. Cook and stir until evenly coated, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
3) In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice concentrate, Balsamic Vinegar with Garlic, grated garlic and olive oil to make the dressing.
4) Place a large helping of baby greens onto each of four salad plates, divide candied walnuts equally and sprinkle over the greens. Place equal amounts of beets over the greens, top dabs of goat cheese with garlic. Drizzle each plate with some of the dressing.
Another delicious recipe from the kitchen of The Garlic Box